Frequently Asked Questions
- What happens if I arrive outside of office hours?
- Where are the yachts moored?
- What is the Fairview definition of a weekend?
- What is the Fairview definition of mid-week?
- What is the Fairview definition of a week?
- What are the standard charter times?
- What’s included in the charter price?
- What qualifications do I need to charter a yacht?
- Can Fairview supply me with a skipper?
- What do I need to bring with me as a crew member?
- What additional items do I need to bring with me if I am the skipper?
- What don’t I need to bring?
- What is in my starter pack?
- Are cooking utensils supplied?
- Can I arrange for food to be delivered to my yacht ready for my arrival?
- Do I have to pay mooring fees?
- Can I hire extra sails?
- Where can I download a copy of the crew list?
- Who must Fairview hand the yacht over to?
- When do handovers take place?
- What security deposit is payable?
- What happens if the weather is bad?
- When can I leave the marina?
- Emergency contacts
What happens if I arrive outside of office hours?
When you arrive in Port Hamble there should be parking spaces outside the barrier car parks. If you do not see a Fairview staff member or marina dockmaster immediately you need to obtain and display a ticket from the car park machine.
- Make your way to the Fairview office where there will be details on the door of your yacht name and berth location
- Make your way down to the yacht
- The yacht will be unlocked. Just push the top hatch back
- All paperwork will be on the chart table
- Please complete the inventory sheet making sure all items are onboard
- Check over the hull and mark down any scratches or dents you can find
- Our office will be open from 0800hrs from Monday to Saturday morning
- Please notify us when you would like a handover. Please note that the inventory/hull check sheet and security deposits need to be completed before the handover.
For general enquiries on Monday to Friday please call 02380 457 023.
In case of an emergency (over the weekend) please call contact a member of staff using one of our emergency contact numbers listed below:
Where are the yachts moored?
All of our yachts are moored on berths with electricity and water at Port Hamble Marina, Hamble Southampton. SO31 4QD.
The marina is approximately ten minutes drive from junction 8 of the M27. When using a SatNav, enter the postcode above.
The nearest train station to the marina is Hamble, which is a five minute taxi journey from the marina. Should you require a taxi from the station to the marina, we recommend booking with Viking Cars on 02380 406 633.
What is the Fairview definition of a weekend?
The weekend starts at 16:00 on Friday and finishes at 17:00 on Sunday. We will offer an earlier pickup time if the yacht is available. All charterers are contacted during the week running up to the start day of your charter to make the final arrangements for collection.
What is the Fairview definition of mid-week?
Mid-week extends from 10:00 on Monday – 11:00 on Friday morning. Handovers are completed on Monday morning.
What is the Fairview definition of a week?
– Option 1: Friday at 16:00 – Friday 11:00
– Option 2: Monday 10:00 – Sunday 17:00.
The handover will be done on Monday morning.
What are the standard charter times?
– Weekend: Friday from 16:00 – Sunday at 17:00
– Weeks option 1: Friday from 16:00 – following Friday 11:00
– Weeks option 2: Monday 10:00 – following Sunday at 17:00
– Mid-Week: Monday from 10:00 – Friday at 11:00
– Single day: 08:00 – 17:00 and are only available from Tuesday to Thursday.
Where possible, we will endeavour to allow you onboard earlier than the scheduled timing.
Please let us know if you will be available for earlier pick up so that we can prioritise your booking.
What is included in the charter price?
Our yacht charter pricing is fully inclusive and we do not charge for engine hours or cooking gas usage. Your yacht will be supplied with a full tank of diesel. We simply ask that you top up diesel on your return to the marina.
Daily fixed fee for diesel – PAYABLE AT CHECK IN
35-39FT Yachts – £15.00 per day
40-44FT Yachts – £22.50 per day
45-50FT Yachts – £26.00 per day
FIXED £30 additional fee applicable for clients who do not opt for fixed fee and don’t re-fill on return
We have an extensive range of hire equipment to complement your charter package, eg. wet weather gear, outboard and extra sails.
Should you wish to participate in a race event an additional insurance premium will be charged, this covers the yacht in race conditions but does not cover personal injury.
What qualifications do I need to charter a yacht?
30 to 37-foot yacht: Tidal Day Skipper practical & Theory qualification with a minimum of 150 nautical miles experience (as skipper) and designated First Mate with a minimum qualification of Competent Crew.
38 to 50-foot yacht: Tidal Coastal skipper practical and Yachtmaster shore-based qualification and above.
All skippers must hold a Short Range Maritime Radio Operator Certificate of Competence.
If you do not hold the above qualifications but have the relevant experience, please present a sailing C.V. listing size of yacht sailed (as skipper) , sea miles and dates/duration. We will be happy to discuss your options.
Can Fairview supply me with a skipper?
Yes, this is not a problem, we have a great selection professional skippers all qualified to an RYA Yachtmaster standard with a commercial endorsement for your peace of mind.
What do I need to bring with me if I am Crew Member?
- Bedding – we are unable to supply this for you. We suggest you bring pillows and sleeping bags for your stay
- Warm clothing (multiple layers are better)
- Soft soled non-marking shoes (ideally deck shoes)
- Wet weather gear (available for hire)
- 12v phone charger
- Lip balm
- Cap or hat
- Tea towels
- Soft bag rather than suitcase for storing your kit
- Sea sickness remedy
- Toilet roll
- Food and drink if you have booked a non-catered charter.
What additional items do I need to bring with me if I am the Skipper?
In addition to the above items, skippers will be required to bring the following items with them:
- Sailing certificates and/or sailing CV of the skipper
- Proof of identity – passport and/or driving licence
- Credit card/debit card with available balance for the security deposit
- Any specialised charts for areas outside our standard pack. All CAT 2 charter yachts in our fleet carry a Solent folio.
What don’t I need to bring?
- Lifejacket (Childs lifejackets are available please let us know two weeks in advance of charter sizes required)
- Flare pack
- Cooking utensils
- Items listed in our starter pack.
What is in my starter pack?
You will be supplied with a Fairview starter pack on arrival. This consists of:
- Washing up liquid
- 1 x Bin bag
- Dish cloth
- 1 x Tea towel
- 8 x Tea bags
- 8 x sugar sachets
- 8 x coffee sachets
- 8 x UHT 1 cup milk pots
- 2 x Toilet rolls are supplied on board (in heads).
Are cooking utensils supplied?
Yes, cups, plates, cutlery and various cooking hardware items are supplied as standard and will be on board ready for your arrival. We also have a large selection of additional cooking pots and pans and oven trays available which are stored in the office. Please let us know if you would like any additional items for use during your charter.
Can I arrange for food to be delivered to my yacht ready for my arrival?
Food deliveries can be requested from most well-known supermarkets and delivered to the address below. Please note: we are unable to accept food deliveries on behalf of customers – if you need to reschedule a delivery, please let the supermarket know.
Port Hamble Marina
Do I have to pay mooring fees?
Berthing at the yacht’s home mooring is free of charge. All other berthing charges are the responsibility of the charterer.
Can I hire extra sails?
Cruising chutes or Asymmetric spinnakers are available to hire at an additional cost, please speak with one of our sales representatives to arrange. These are only available on specified yachts.
Where can I download a copy of the Crew List?
A copy of our Crew List can be completed in your dedicated, online Senda login area that you are emailed after paying your deposit. Alternatively, a Crew List is available from the download area. If you download and complete this document before arrival it will speed up your hand over.
Who must Fairview hand the yacht over to?
Handovers must be made to the designated skipper for the charter period. No other crew member can take the handover in place of the skipper.
When do handovers take place?
All handovers must be fully completed before the yacht leaves the Marina. Handovers must be completed between 08:00hrs – 16:00 hrs. Arrivals outside of this time will receive a handover the following morning.
What security deposit is payable?
In addition to the charter fee, a security deposit will be required to cover any breakages or losses. In the event of an insurance claim being necessary, it will also cover the policy excess.
The security deposit payable on yachts will be listed on your booking confirmation. All security deposits are doubled when racing.
The security deposit is payable on arrival via a credit /debit card, this payment is a pre-authorisation from your card. Any security deposit paid by cheque must be cleared before charter commencement. The security deposit will be refunded or de-authorised within 14 days of completion of charter along with an email confirmation.
Any breakages or losses will be deducted from the security deposit and the balance refunded. A copy invoice will be sent listing a break down of charges.
What happens if the weather is bad?
In the event of severe weather is forecast for the duration of the proposed charter an alternative date will be re-scheduled. Refunds are not given in the case of severe weather. In the event of severe weather on a day charter occurring period, an alternative date will be re-scheduled.
In the event of severe weather arriving after the commencement of a charter, the charterer would be asked to keep in regular contact with Fairview office and decisions will be made on a day to day basis as to whether the charter should be cancelled and re-scheduled at a later date.
When can I leave the marina?
You are able to board the yacht at any time within your charter period, however you cannot leave the marina with the yacht unless the designated skipper has completed a full handover with a member of Fairview`s staff.
For general enquiries during Monday to Friday please call 02380 457 023.
In case of an emergency (over the weekend) please call 07919 414 346.